Rules & Growing Tips
- All pumpkins entered in the show must be a species of pumpkin.
- All entries must be drug free; any pumpkins tested and found to have
one of the following present, either nicotine, alcohol, steroids or
any other drug with the letter Z will be banned.
- Owners are responsible for their pumpkins during the show; any owner
who cannot control their pumpkin will be asked to remove it immediately.
- Owners are asked to remove their pumpkins by 5 pm on the day; any
pumpkin found unaccompanied after this time will be deemed a rogue
and may be removed with force.
- Any pumpkin weighing more than 600 kg must be accompanied by its
- The winning Big Boy pumpkin is to be displayed outside the Little
River Cafe for a minimum of 3 weeks after the festival.
- The winning scarecrow for both the chilrens and adults category must be able to be put on display inside the Little River Craft Station for a minimum of 3 weeks after the festival.
The judges decision is final.
- Prepare the growing bed by digging in well-rotted manure and compost
to a four-spade depth. The area needs to be a good sunny position,
well-drained and protected from winds.
- Plant seedling pumpkin and protect from frost. Ensure seedling is well
- When flowers have set, ensure pollination by picking a male flower and
hand pollinating the female flower (the female flower has swelling
at the base of the stalk).
- When a fruit is set (the size of a melon or small soccer ball), remove
other fruit to allow the chosen fruit to thrive! Place a bed of straw,
newspaper or foam underneath the chosen fruit to ensure it doesn't
rot or discolour.
- Ensure the pumpkin has enough water, is sheltered from extreme winds
and is fed by secret recipes!
- Keep fingers crossed until the pumpkin begins to swell! Keep feeding